Biodiversity Day in conjunction with the International Day for Biological Diversity 2018
Celebrating 25 years of Action for Biodiversity
Date: 12 May 2018, Saturday, 8.00am - 5.00pm
Venue: Level 5, Imperial Hotel, Kuching
|9.00am - 10.00am||Keynote address: Prof Emeritus Dato' Dr. Abdul Latiff Mohamad, Research Fellow, Botany
& Conservation Biology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
|10.00am - 11.00am||Public Talk 1 - Green Intelligence, the Future of Plants and People!
by Mr Veera Sekaran, Greenology Singapore
|11.00am - 12.00pm||Public Talk 2 - UNIMAS Contribution to Biodiversity Conservation - Roles of IBEC
by Prof. Dr. Andrew Alek Tuen, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
|12.00pm - 1.00pm||
Public Talk 3 - Enhancing Biodiversity Conservation: Weaving Traditional Ecological Knowledge
|2.00pm - 3.00pm||Public Talk 4 - Wildlife Photography and It's role in Biodiversity Conservation
by Mr Ch’ien C. Lee
|3.00pm - 4.00pm||Public Talk 5 - Conservation on Dugong
by Mr James Bali, Sarawak Forestry Corporation
|4.00pm - 5.00pm||Public Talk 6 - Conservation by Numbers: 58, 21, 11 and 18 - Field Research Data and Conservation Interventions from Orang-utan, Elephant, Tiger and Marine Work in Malaysia
by Dr Melvin T. Gumal, Wildlife Conservation Society
R&D Fun and Educational Activities for Kids/Student (8.00am - 5.00pm)
|Scents of Life||
1. Homemade essential oil distillation
1. Simple home setup to distill your own essential oil.
|Experience the world of Molecular Biology||1. Interesting Facts about DNA
2. Memory Game
3. Find the Hidden Words
4. Match the DNA
|1. Get to know your DNA and interesting facts that you probably didn't know.
2. Put your memory to the test. Match the pairs of the cards in as few moves as you can.
3. Enjoy a fun challenge as you identify and mark all the words hidden inside the box.
4. Let's make exact copies of a double-stranded DNA molecule by correctly matching the base pairs to each strand.
|Together We Culture for a Greener World||1. Plant and Animal Cell Guessing
2. Plant tissue culture: Its Chronology
|1. Stages in the establishment of tissue culture plantlets.
2. Puzzle on plant cells structure
|Chemistry of Life||1. Structures of Molecules with Scent
2. Water Transportation in Plant
3. Endothermic vs Exothermic
4. Hot Ice
5. Reversible Reaction
1. Construct and learn the characterisitc of the structure molecules with scent.
|Microbes Around Us||1. Bacteria Cell Counting
2. Our Ecosystem
|1. Display of forest ecosystem model.
2. Spot the bacteria and count.
|The World of Biodiversity in Algae||
1. Photobioreactor Miniature
1. Algae industrial cultivation display.
|Traditional Knowledge Activities|
|Learning Plant Structures (Basic Taxonomy for Beginners)||
1. Match the Plants
|1. Match the plant to its correct species.
2. Sniff test to determine the scent belongs to which plant.
3. Stamp a bag using plant structures such as leaves, stem and create your own design.
|Insights of Traditional Knowledge||
1. Utilisation of Plants by communities
|1. Display of 25 plant species used by the indigenous community in Sarawak.
2. Handicraft display by Penan/Kayan/Kenyah community.
|Experience the Sarawak Culture||Photobooth with Traditional Costumes and Handicrafts||Take photos with provided traditional costumes and handicrafts along with communities. Like and follow SBC facebook to get the photo.|
|LitSara® Gift shop||Sale of LitSara® products|
|SBC Sports Club||Handmade Arts and Crafts from Recycled Materials|
|Exhibition by Agencies|
|Wildlife Conservation Society|
|Ch'ien C. Lee - Wildlife Photography|
|Sarawak Forest Department|
|Sarawak Forestry Corporation|
Please download the full programme here.
Please be reminded that the programme might be changed without further notice.